Thursday, January 1, 2009

HTML webpage task

The HTML task took me a couple of weeks to work through due to travelling and all sorts of interuptions. At the time of writing this, I havn't uploaded my webpage to the webct presentations area so I have not validated yet, but I thought I might quickly chuck together some words of reflection while it was still fresh in my head (and hopefully before the hoards get back from the beach :( ).

My experience with HTML in the past has been all self taught stumblings. I built my first page back in 2000/2001 I think. I was newly married and heading off on a journey and I started dabbling with writing a page and using it as wine journal and holiday log. I seem to remember I toiled away at it for a while but found the process of writing in HTML to be tedious and for me quite difficult and slow. Funnily enough, not much has changed... I use HTML code snippets quite a bit in my day to day job role to adjust things here and there but it is really at a very basic
level.

During the 26 lessons, which I thought were all quite useful, I was constantly interupted by all things holiday so the "sense of achievement I found at the end was more to do with finally having completed the task and finally being able to right this blog post than anything else. I don't think my page is particularly aestheticly pleasing or interesting, or that it fills any other purpose than to complete this task. I would have liked to spend some time to make a page which did have some other purpose but I simply could not spare/find the time.

I did learn quite a bit from having completed the 26 lessons. Possibly the main thing is that I like WYSIWYG editors much better than HTML. I think I must be a more visual person. I am happy to play around with the HTML in the background to make minor adjustments but I much prefer
moving things around visually than in code. I know all you professional web designers prefer to write in code (or at least the ones I have talked to) and that WYSIWYG is only for hacks like me, so call me lazy, but I prefer it that way.

What is the difference between blogging and HTML? Well blogging is writing a web log, HTML is the code that holds that page together. HTML is the bricks and the blog is the building. I much prefer writing a blog about HTML than writing a blog in HTML.

Incidentally, I was given a text on CSS for Christmas (edit.. I just did a google on the name of the text and found THE WHOLE BOOK is available online!!! It is really good so here is the link ) and I was hoping to integrate some CSS into my web page for the course but I doubt I will have the time for that. I will give it a try though and let you all know how it goes. One reason I was doing this course in the first place was to learn more about HTML and CSS and I guess I have already done that but there is soooo much further to go...

5 comments:

Chriso said...

Hi mate
If I can help you with any of the CSS and HTML give me yell.
Chriso

RhysatWork said...

Cheers Chris. It's good to know there is help at hand!

Belinda said...

Hi Rhys,

I know how you feel with completing the task, with having an appreciation just that you finished it due to the family and holidays. I am in the same boat as you and have had to complete the tutorial accorss victoria. You page background looks very cool!

Raymand said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Raymand said...

Sitepoint have a lot of great books. They were giving away an entire CSS book not so long ago if you followed them on Twitter, sadly this has ended. I am pretty sure they will be offering similar things in the future knowing the way they operate. You can follow them here - http://twitter.com/sitepointdotcom