Thursday, December 4, 2008

Traceroute Task

I had been thinking about trying to do part of these posts using video so I produced this video today. The result is incredably boring but the process was useful and interesting for me.

I learned a couple of things:
  1. I won't be vlogging much more in the future for this unit because it is incredably time consuming not to mention the boredom factor for my readers. (tell me if I'm wrong)
  2. Talking through the procedures and the questions seemed to assist me to come up with answers to my own questions by thinking logically. Not entirely sure if they were the correct assumptions though.....
  3. put 1 and 2 together and the result is, though I might not publish the videos, I still may produce them for the learning value.
After I completed that section, I went back in and decided to download Visual Route for the next Traceroute task.

I took some screenshots of the results of the Visual Route traceroute and they can be found here if you are interested.

To summize the photos:
  • traceroute to curtin.edu.au from my computer as compared to from the web hosted tool; this comparison showed 19 hops versus 21 and 100ms versus 123 which I guess is no surprise because the webtool is hosted in the States.
  • traceroute from my computer to webct.edu.au versus curtin.edu.au; to webct was almost twice as long at 193ms but the same number of hops. Grrrr webCT!
Time to go over to the forums I think and mine the knowledge there......

5 comments:

Peter Fletcher said...

Could you do the vlog on YouTube? Then you could embed into the post.

RhysatWork said...

hmmm I could but there are two reasons why I didn't
1. I was having Camtasia issues and set up publish output as a swf. You tube does not accept swf files and this already took longer than anticipated.
2. I can embed here a swf too but that means it downloads automatically and that is inconsiderate to my readers. So I just linked to it.
Did you see it?

Monique said...

Hey Rhys
The video may have been boring to you but it was really good actually for me to watch as it confirmed for me that i was doing the task correctly. My results were very similar to yours. P.S the video is awesome, is it easy to do?

louwna said...

always learn a lot from you. Thanks

Jennifer Ratcliff said...

Hi Rhys!
I love your Vlog! It is awesome. very impressed. I always learn heaps from you too! Thanks! :)