Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Telnet Task A

My initial experience using telnet as an information searching tool is not a happy one. I used the Windows Vista help page as advised and followed the steps there with no problems. I found the connectivity to be sketchy. I wonder if this is a problem with my telnet browser choice and perhaps I should try some other browsers. I found this great list of telnet applications http://www.telnet.org/htm/applications.htm and should check some of these out.... I imagine a few folks will read this and say "ahh you're using Vista, there's your problem".




This screen capture from my vista telnet client says "what kind of terminal are you using?" and gives two options: V for VT1oo and W for NCSA VT100. I have no idea idea what these options are refering to and will try to resarch this more but would be happy if anyone wanted to add there ideas here in the form of a comment!

The email function of the Deakin Library telnet server was nice and is certainly useful but I hated not being able to cut and paste in the telnet client window! Drag and drop and cut and past are some of the features I would miss if I was using telnet often. Makes you wonder how we did it back then and how long it must have taken us.

I believe telnet, on first impressions to be a clunky and outdated tool/protocol and I will be interested to see the next site we are directed to for Task B. I can see that it must have had it's uses in it's days so I will research this a little before I discount it.

6 comments:

brainstew said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
brainstew said...

So, which one did you choose? :P

I found this page - http://www.wwwebfx.com/gloss/vw.htm - that says, "As you connect to services across the Internet via Telnet, you will frequently be asked what terminal your client is emulating. Choose VT1OO."

It states that the VT100 is 'the "standard" ASCII text terminal for which applications are designed.'

- Daryl Wong (a fellow NET11 student)

RhysatWork said...

Thanks Daryl,

I will certainly be going over to check that out. I haven't chosen a new telnet app yet.

Though I did have a look at the blinkenlights telnet which is awesome. I feel like I have seen it before a long time ago but can't rember when.

I think I will have a look through that list on the telnet.org site over the next few days.

Peter Fletcher said...

Looks great Rhys.

Jamie said...

hi Rys,

i found it interesting that your first impression of telnet was much like mine(not very impressed), but was wondering what changed your mind after looking at the blinken lights program. To me it just looked like bunch of print statements, executed then deleted, then returning to the top of the screen, which would be a fairly simple as far as functional programming goes.(am i missing something in the technology here) Or is it just your appreciation of the time and effort it must have taken to get all the shapes right?

RhysatWork said...

Hey Jamie,

I am definately impressed by the time and effort but also the innovation. To take such a simple medium and turn it into a virtual comic strip is brilliant. After all the question specifically asks us to look at the creativity etc and the use of the technology. Let's face it, telnet was not designed as a movie cinema, the guy took this aand tweeked it to it's limits. That's what I love about it.